Late October is a great time to make sure that your house is ready for the winter. This includes our water pipes. Frozen pipes, when thawed, can result in flooding, property damage and a high water bill!
Here are some tips:
- Winterize outdoor spigots before the temperature dips below freezing.
- Don't forget your yard hydrant! The majority of frozen pipe calls are from non-winterized yard hydrants.
- Know where your master water shut-off valve is located. Quick shut-off will save your home from additional damage.
- If you are vacationing during the winter months, shut off your water and drain the system, including your water heater.
- Check for bare spots on insulated pipe.